Thursday, December 11, 2008

Surgery

Tomorrow at 7:15 AM, I am scheduled to report to the Utah Valley Regional Medical Center Outpatient Surgery. Crazy! I am having surgery on my left foot. I get to miss school Friday, Monday, and Tuesday. That's kind of cool. I have never had surgery or general anesthesia before. I am a little nervous.

So, now you may be wondering why I am having surgery on my left foot. It is because I have a bunion. Yep, a bunion. What is a bunion? I will tell you. A bunion is one problem that can develop due to hallux valgus, a foot deformity. The term "hallux valgus" is Latin and means a turning outward of the big toe. The bone which joins the big toe becomes prominent on the inner border of the foot. This bump is the bunion and is made up of bone and soft tissue. What causes bunions? Bunions are most often caused by an inherited faulty mechanical structure of the foot. It is not the bunion itself that is inherited, but certain foot types that make a person prone to developing a bunion. I have to thank my gramps for that; he had bunions removed on both feet.

Anyway, the orthopedic surgeon says I need to be off my foot for the next few days. Which means, I get to lay on the couch and watch Christmas movies while sipping hot chocolate. If you would like to join me, just stop by. Also, if you ever want a really good laugh, google bunion surgery; some hilarious articles and pictures come up.

Comparison of a regular foot and and a foot with a bunion

My feet

My feet (again)--you can really see the bump on the inside

What the operating room will look like

The shoe I get to wear for 6-8 weeks

This is hanging on my rear view mirror until March 10th

I saw that these shoes are an alternative to getting surgery

The 3rd graders made gingerbread houses today--very fun and cute

4 comments:

Kate Johnson said...

Good luck SB, we love you. I wish we could be there to pamper you with hot chocolate and Jane Austen movies, but I think you will be gone by the time we get there. If not, let's live it up. Gramps was always quite the sharer, but that is one thing you might not have wanted to receive. Good luck this morning I will be thinking about you right after my last final (don't worry, it will be done before you go in).
Daniel (and Katie and Madeleine)

Kristen said...

Oh, man that stinks! Rest up and good luck with the surgery!

Nathan and Whitney Tanner said...

oh my gosh. Good luck with the surgery! And, just keep looking at the clip art so that you will know exactly what the operating room will look like! jk. Good luck! That's cool that you get a handicapped sticker! Take advantage!

Mrs. Brindley said...

We miss you here at school! I can't wait for you to come back! It's too bad you didn't have that parking sticker while going to BYU! That would have been helpful! I hope you are feeling well!