Sunday, June 14, 2009

Weekly Washington Post (6/14)

The skill I improved this week was asking people, whether for directions or taking a picture. I got a work assignment this week. It's doing front office work for a government subsidized apartment complex. Very interesting group of tenants. The ladies in the office are funny and friendly. The best part of the job is that I get to read if the phone is not ringing or there is no one at the window to help. I've already finished two books since starting on Wednesday: Confessions of a Shopaholic and The Hiding Place. Another great thing that happened was I got to see my cousin, Daniel, and his wife, Katie, and their little darling, Madeleine. They were up in DC for a wedding and were able to squeeze me in for a couple hours on Saturday afternoon.

Monday--Smithsonian day
-Air and Space
-National Archives
-Natural History
-American History

Air and Space is my favorite Smithsonian. If I were alive in the 50s, I would've been a flight attendant. I would've fit all the requirements; height: 5'2"-5'6", weight: under 135 lbs, and education: 2 yrs of college or an RN.

National Archives
The Declaration of Independence--the poor document is so worn, but I guess that's a good thing.
The Constitution
Sculpture Garden--unique art
Natural History
The problem with having a random person take your photo is that they tend to cut things out.

GO Triceratops!!

Tuesday
-Ford's Theatre
-Petersen House (where Lincoln died)
-Post Office
-Federal Triangle area
-Institute

The box that the Lincolns were sitting in.
Again, a little part cut out.
Post Office
If you haven't read Benjamin Franklin's autobiography, read it this summer!! It's a quick and inspiring book.
Views of DC from the bell tower


Wednesday-Friday
-worked
-learned how to speak like a Black person
-went to Temple Night at the DC Temple--absolutely stunning!!


Friday night
-ate really good Thai food
-saw this clever movie

Saturday
-afternoon with Daniel, Katie, and Madeleine
-went to the American History museum
-ate at Good Stuff Eatery (delicious burgers)
-went to the George Strait concert (love him!!)

Sweet and darling Madeleine
My mom absolutely hated our Chrysler Dodge minivan, more lovingly called "The Woody." We only had it for a couple years while I was in elementary school. But, I think her feelings toward it will change since it's now on display in the Smithsonian. FPK554.

The King of Country (aka George Strait, for Rebekah)

It rained during George's part. The little white flashes are not fireflies but raindrops.

Sunday
-went to church
-rode the whole way home with the window down
-took a nice nap
-went to ward choir (I did not laugh)
-going to a popsicle party

3 comments:

MisterandMissesLem said...

you look hotT (two t's) in every single one of these!!!!!!!!

MisterandMissesLem said...

and i'm supa excited to come Sara Bef!

Rachel said...

Oh my gosh, I have been so busy with traveling, this is the first time I've been able to check your blog and I LOVE IT! I'm so jealous of all these fun things and you look fabulous!!!